Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick-or-Treat

Before the evening ends I wanted to share a vintage-style papier-mâché pumpkin I made for Halloween this year. Though mine is a small candy basket, it's based on lanterns like these, from the earlier half of the 20th century. I used a balloon as the base, and covered it with strips of newspaper adhered with a flour and water paste. When it was dry, I sanded it, painted it with acrylics and added glittered details, a wire handle and some pom pom trim around the top. I also made a detachable witch's hat from paper, glitter, ribbon and berries. It clips onto the rim of the pumpkin with with a mini clothespin, shown here. Happy Halloween!

13 comments:

Tricia - A Rosy Note said...

You are so creative...this is so cute. I love visiting your blog :)

SocksAndMittens said...

Lovely things, so Halloweenesh

Georgia Jones said...

Just delightful!

Kit Chase said...

That is absolutely adorable! The pom pom trim made it perfect. I wish stores would do a vintage version of the traditional, $1.00 plastic, trick or treat pumpkin.

Koru Kate said...

Adorable! I have to file this away to make for next Halloween.

Kathy Martin said...

This is awesome! A friend of mine LOVES those old paper mache pumpkins but they are so expensive when you find them at antique shops. Yours is so well made! The hat too! :)

Danielle said...

Wow! So incredible.

Haylee said...

Oh my goodness, that is so creative! Such a fun idea.
I love your blog Livy. I'm an e-mail subscriber and look forward to each new post. :)

Suzonne said...

Love!

thea said...

you're a genius!!!

thea.
x

(spoonful)

andie said...

I love how halloween can be horrifying or just plain cute. This, is halloween at its best. :)

Celine said...

I really love the pumpkin as a candy basket!

creart said...

Aww so cute!

Post a Comment