Saturday, October 25, 2008

Paper Leaf Garland {Tutorial}

Ever gone in search of a last-minute seasonal project, only to find yourself thinking aloud in exasperation, "Why no, I don't happen to have a yard of bright orange denim, four to six ounces of beeswax and a bag of reindeer moss"? Of course there's a time and place for planning out your crafty endeavors and following through, but once in a while it's nice to feel what you're making is as effortlessly attainable as the instructions imply. So, without further ado, I bring you what I promise will be the simplest thing to ever masquerade as a craft project. Dreamed up by me, while trapped in the library during midterm season. It's fun, lovely, minimal and simple. One might even venture to attach the word elegant, but it's just such a humble creation it seems almost contradictory - after all, all you need is plain old white paper, scissors and a few dabs of white glue.
Click the the button above to download the free .pdf file (make sure you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed). Each sheet includes printed instructions and will make approximately two and a half feet of garland. Wishing you cozy Halloween evenings filled with pumpkin carving and garland making!
P.S. If you make a garland of your own post some photos so I can include a link to them here. I'd love to see the results! ♥ Gorgeous photos of the finished garland on a rustic mantle at LilyBonBon.Lovely lengths of garland at The Mouse

26 comments:

cindy : quaint said...

i love this livy! thank you for the pdf. i think i might make them out of fabric, which is just a couple more steps if i use fusible interfacing. i'll let you know how it goes.

Angelique said...

This looks great! I especially like the last picture with the window and embroidered bag. I think it would be a nice variation to make it with yellow or orange paper to make it more fall-like colorwise... although there's something lovely about the minimalism of white too.

hope you're having a great weekend!
- Angelique
(http://studiokiekje.typepad.com)

Livy said...

Those sound like such beautiful ideas. I'd love to pictures of them if you decide to make them!

Tina Amato said...

This is beautiful! What a fantastic idea.

LollyChops said...

This is totally cool and just in time for fall! Thanks for sharing!

Jeni from Kansas said...

What a superfun idea!

Megan said...

that is absolutely lovely! i can't wait to try this with some different colors and patterns...hopefully mine were turn out half as great!

Shirley said...

Simple and so elegant...love it

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Beautiful!!! I'll be linking to this...

Grace@PoeticHome said...

Livy, this is so gorgeous! Sometimes, the best crafts are simple ones :) Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful idea and template! I have a few sheets of yellowed vintage papers, which are calling to be created into a seasonal garland.

Casey said...

What a gorgeous idea--I love how it is so minimal and yet seasonal! So different from the more visually "busy" seasonal decorations. :) Thanks for sharing this!

Buddha said...

I have an ongoing blog carnival I would love to have your tutorial posted there. if you are interested please visit us at: http://myrecipefor.blogspot.com/
thank you

Icymar "Iceman" Tagimacruz said...

Hi this a great site I will surely recommend you to my friends.

visit my blog......

Beadyjan said...

Thanks for sharing this
http://beadyjan.blogspot.com/

LBB said...

So sweet, Livy! As you may know, I do like paper cutting very much...it's quite soothing. I printed out the project sheet on plain white paper as you suggested...I love a simple, non-fussy project! Now all I need is to find a quiet moment to sit down with my scissors. Merci! ~LillyBonBon

Ms Unreliable said...

It's spring in my corner of the world, but when fall rocks around next year, I'm going to make this out of some form of outdoor-friendly material (I have a whole 6 months to research) and put it outside on my maple tree!

Wendy McConnell said...

I'm hosting a Halloween party at my house this year, and after seeing all the crazy-themed, overdone ideas out there on the web, I just decided to keep it simple. This idea is PERFECT!

Grace@PoeticHome said...

Livy! Your gorgeous paper leaf garland was featured on sfgirlbybay http://sfgirlbybay.blogspot.com/2008/10/guest-blogger-libby-from_30.html

It's so gorgeous! I will happily send over a photo once I finish the project :)

Laura said...

Wow, this is lovely! I cannot wait to try it out.

Gabriel's Aunt said...

Great idea! Where did you get that bag in the pic? It is GORGEOUS! I would love to know!

Phyllis said...

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd tell you that we loved this craft this year. We watercolored the backs of our papers with fall colors before cutting, too, and that turned out beautifully. Thank you!

Kathryn said...

Thankyou so mush for sharing this over at Econobusters.com. I saw this and had to print it! With six kids cutting out this pattern; we can really make our house festive.
Kathryn

Retta said...

This is so crafty!! Love it. I subscribe to econobusters and saw your link there.
Retta

From Me To You said...

OoOo so cute! I saw this project on The Mouse and it looked adorable! Thanks for sharing!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How pretty! Thank you so much! ♥

João said...

I love this leafs

Post a Comment